The Manchester Student Homes Good Neighbours Team  promotes the culture of being good neighbours and help support students to integrate into off campus communities, to enhance their student experience. Visit our website to read more about our work and to contact us.






                                     GNT Logo



If you are disturbed by a noise problem at any time, day or night, you can report it to Manchester City Council. At weekends or at night (between 6pm and 9am) you can report a noise issue to Manchester City Council on 0161 234 5004. Officers from the council can then visit the property. Your details will NOT be shared with those causing the problem. 

What happens if someone complains?
Manchester Student Homes takes any complaints from the community very seriously. If a complaint is made about your property, it will be followed up with a visit from the Universities’ Off Campus Affairs Officer and a Manchester City Council officer from the noise team to investigate the matter. Your household is responsible for noise at your property, including from any guests.

If the complaints continue, you could be served a Noise Abatement Notice. Any noise-making appliances can be seized, it can result in an unlimited fine and serious offences could lead to prosecution. You could also be referred to your university’s Conduct and Discipline department, which may lead to formal disciplinary proceedings.

Waste and recycling

You can improve Manchester’s recycling rates and make your local area a nicer place to be by disposing of your waste correctly! Look out for information from Manchester City Council about waste and recycling in your property when you move in. Put this somewhere that everyone in your home can easily see – the fridge is a good spot!

Depending on where you live, you’ll either have communal waste and recycling bins on your street or individual wheelie bins. Bins that are overflowing or that have the wrong things in won’t get collected and this can quickly cause problems.

  • If you’ve got communal bins find out where the nearest ones are and set up a space in your home for recycling.
  • If you’ve got wheelie bins find out what day they get collected and sign up for email reminders. You’ll need to put the bins out for collection and bring them back in again.

If you spot any fly tipping, you can easily report it to Manchester City Council online.

Give It Don’t Bin It
You can easily donate your unwanted items to the British Heart Foundation, Manchester Central Foodbank and other local charities through the ‘Give It Don’t Bin It’ campaign.

Staying safe

Download the SafeZone app, which you can use in areas of Fallowfield and Victoria Park, as well as The University of Manchester campus, Manchester Metropolitan University campus and University of Salford campus. You can use the SafeZone app to get assistance on any of these campuses — no matter which university you attend. 

If you’re a victim of crime, you can report it to the police on 101, visit your local police station or report it online. If you’re in danger, or it’s an emergency, call 999. 

Manchester Student Homes work with other University teams, Greater Manchester Police, Manchester City Council, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue, and the NHS to help keep you safe in the community.