Go Local

Housing Advice

Manchester Student Homes is a department of The University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University. We are partnered with The University of Salford, The Manchester College, and RNCM. We are here to make sure you find good quality student accommodations.

We run a landlord accreditation scheme and can help if you have any problems with your accommodation provider or if you have any issues living off campus. Our services are free to students attending one of our managing or partnership universities.

The International Friendly Standard was created by Manchester Student Homes to recognise those landlords and private halls who provide a fair and transparent service to international students regarding bookings and contractual terms, as well as going that extra mile in the level of service they provide to international students.

International Friendly Standard

Services we provide

House Hunting

  • Who to live with?
  • Property viewings
  • Average rent levels / Bills inc
Read more


  • Sign-ups and Tenancy Agreements
  • Property viewings
  • Fees and Guarantors
Read more


  • Deposit Protection
  • Type of Schemes
  • Deposit Protection Contacts
Read more

Moving In

  • Moving in
  • Inventories
  • Utility bills
Read more

Living in your home

  • Rights, Responsibilities and Repairs
  • Being a Good Neighbour
  • Safety and Security
Read more

Moving out & deposit returns

  • Avoid Deposit Deductions
  • Moving Out
  • Deposit Returns
Read more

Useful Contacts

  • The Universities
  • Manchester City Council
Read more

Housing literature

  • Viewing Check List
  • Top Tips
Items to download