Couple/ Family Accommodation for Students






Manchester Student Homes (MSH) values the importance of family support for students. Indeed, many students travel to Manchester with their families so they can be with their loved ones and support each other. As a result, couple/ family accommodation in the student housing market is in extremely short supply and high demand.


Due to the current student housing market situation, Manchester Student Homes advises that you do not bring your family to the city unless you have managed to secure decent, safe and secure accommodation in advance. Alternatively, you should arrive in advance, taking on temporary accommodation, and then search for suitable family accommodation from the city. Once suitable accommodation is sourced, your family can join you.


Students with family/ children should source accommodation through local private agents. The majority of our landlords advertise their properties to individual students to share as a group where they rent on a per room per week basis (with shared facilities). These properties may not be suitable for families because they are charged by room and there may be restrictions on the number of occupants in the property. It is more affordable for families to rent a property as a whole. Council tax is also payable when there is one or more non-student (over 18 years of age) living at the property.


University of Manchester Students


For students visiting with their partners, The University of Manchester offers limited accommodation to student couples. You may visit Horniman House (The University of Manchester) for more details and will need to apply in advance as rooms are limited. Alternatively, student couples can search for a studio or 1-bedroom flats/ apartments, which can be found through MSH website.


How to Search for Family Accommodation


The easiest way to find available, private accommodation is to visit our website at


Some landlords will advertise their property as being ‘suitable for families’. To find Family Accommodation on our website, run these types of searches:


For Studio/ 1 bedroom

  • Property Type = Whole Property
  • Rooms Required = 1
  • Contract Length = Long Let


For 2-bedroom flats / houses

Property Type = Whole Property

Rooms Required = 2

Contract Length = Long Let



When the search results appear you will need to:                                                                                                                                                                                       

  • click on the filters
  • then click on suitable for
  • then select families

When you find a property that you are interested in, please contact the landlord directly on the number/ email address provided to arrange a viewing and/ or ask any specific questions.


Accommodation Through Another Source


Please note that family accommodation is in high demand and low supply. It is advised that accommodation is sourced through Manchester Student Homes, however on occasion and if suitable accommodation is found elsewhere, you need to ensure the following steps are taken:

  • Contact the landlord for a viewing

  • Visit the property and view it internally

  • If you would like to proceed with the property, the landlord may ask you for a holding deposit – this should not be more than 1 week’s rent (equivalent)

  • Receive a receipt for the money paid with the date of payment – this will hold the property for 2 weeks

  • Ask for a copy of the contract to view

  • Email the contract to Manchester Student Homes at for a free contract check

  • Once the contract is checked and approved, you can proceed with arranging a time to sign the contract

  • When you sign the contract, you will need to pay a security deposit (equivalent to a maximum of 5 weeks rent) and rent. Your holding deposit should be deducted from this amount

You can use various online platforms to source accommodation available in and around Manchester. The properties available may or may not be furnished, please choose according to your needs.

Whether you find accommodation through our service or with a different provider, you are welcome to use our advice and support services, such as our free contract checking service.

Please be aware that, as you will be living in the private sector, you will be liable for council tax. More information can be found on the sites below:

Properties via local agents

Find a property with local agents via Accommodation is available in and around the City Centre, South Manchester, Salford and Hulme. The properties available may or may not be furnished, so you will have to apply a filter to see only (un)furnished properties – run a search that meets your criteria, then click on Property Type in the top right hand corner, then choose your preferred furnished type.


Here is a small list of local agents* that you can contact directly:

*All the websites of local agents or accommodation providers mentioned are not vetted by Manchester Student Homes.


You must get your contract checked by MSH before you sign and before any money is handed over. Once you have seen the property and you are interested in signing into a legally binding contract, the agent may ask you for a holding deposit (also known as a reservation fee or holding fee) to take the property off the market. A holding deposit is equivalent to one week’s rent. You can email your contract to or call us on 0161 275 7680 to book an appointment.

Where Should Students with Families Live?


Many students want to live close to campus for obvious reasons. It may not be the case for students with families, especially those with school age children. There are different considerations for each family as partners may not work and children may not attend school near to the universities.


Greater Manchester is the UK’s second largest city and is full of diversity. You can check out our local area guide for more information on different areas in and around Manchester.


FAQs - Family Accommodation


For more information on family accommodation, please download the FAQs here: Family Accommodation FAQs